Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

This morning my dog Mia a chawa.....sorry can't spell it

Customer Question

this morning my dog Mia a chawa.....sorry can't spell it ...her stomach was gurgling like crazy non-stop. I went to my Dr.appointment & when I returned home there was a good size amount of mucous, & also a good amount of bright red blood. What the heck is going on....plz help uß......Lisa &Mia
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much blood did you see? A spoonful? More or less?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Is she up to date on her vaccines?
How old is she?
Any vomiting or appetite loss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK.more than a tea spoon...gums are pink , moist and a lil-sticky not much,no soreness of the belly, & no more gurgling, yes she is up to date with shots, she could have eaten something like a out door plant, we were visiting, Mia is 8years old....no vomiting,..... No more gurgling & no more bloody stool or mucous.... (So far)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other than that she's acting her self?????
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Do you know any of the types of plants she could have chewed on (since some can be dangerously toxic)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is another dog here alßo ,no problem, I live in up-state n.y. Mia has been at this house before , so I'm not sure what's going on????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her nose is warm... Or is that amith
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, I am glad to hear that her gums are pink despite her passing fresh blood from her lower bowel. This is because this tells us that the blood loss is not taking a dangerous toll on her (where pale/white gums would make us worry about that). And just to note, the nose temperature is a myth but if she feels generally warm, then she may have a fever.
Now in regards ***** ***** we do have a few concerns. As she is an adult that is up to date on vaccinations, we’d hope to put Parvo lower on our list here. And if we can do that, then we’d have to consider bacteria that cause hemorrhagic GI infections (ie Salmonella and Campylobacter), viral infections like hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, protozoal infections (ie Giardia, coccidia, etc), and ingestion of toxins (plants or otherwise) or non-edible items. All of these could all cause the signs we are seeing.
Now since Mia is otherwise herself, we do want to tread with care but also start some supportive care. To start, we often will put them on a light or easily digestible diet. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). Whichever you choose, the easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and result in less diarrhea. Also feed this as small frequent meals to further decrease the volume of diarrhea she is producing and even add a fiber supplement (ie a spoon of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the diarrhea is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Since diarrhea can dehydrate them quite quickly, we do need to keep an eye on Mia's drinking and hydration. To check her hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before makes her feel poorly. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level and actually makes them feel ill)
If you were concerned that she was becoming dehydrated, you can try and encourage her to drink but offering fresh water or even low-salt chicken broth. If she isn’t amenable to these, you can syringe feed pedialyte. Pedialyte is nice (though aim for a flavorless one) because it will get some of those lost electrolytes back into her as well. A typical maintenance rate for hydration in an animal is 48mls per kilogram of her body weight a day. If you do give syringe pedialyte, this should obviously be divided up into multiple offerings through the day rather then all at once. This value will give you the total she needs for the day and is a good starting point to give you an idea of a dog's daily requirement. (we aren’t calculating losses, so you can add an equivalent volume to match how much diarrhea is being producing). If she vomits when you have given pedialyte, then therapy should be discontinued (since we don’t want vomiting because of our intervention).
Overall, these would be our concerns for her signs at this stage. So, as long as she has not had any more of this stool, we'd want to use the above and keep a close eye on her. Just to note, do not be tempted to give any anti-diarrheals if you are seeing stools of this nature. The reason is because those aforementioned viruses and bacterial can actually cause more issue (ie toxin secretion into the gut) if we slow down their passage out of the body. So, the key is using light diets and forming stool naturally as opposed to slowing transit and potentially causing her to feel even more poorly. Of course, any more bloody stools or if she isn't settling in the next 12-24 hours, we'd want to have her checked by the local vet. If you take a stool sample with you, they can examine both her and the sample. Depending on their findings, the sample can be sent for testing to identify which of the above is present. And knowing that can help your vet to determine which antibiotics would be best for addressing this for wee Mia and getting her back to normal.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lisa Kenfield. How is everything going?
nekovet