Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog was with me on my boat yesterday, went swimming first

Customer Question

My dog was with me on my boat yesterday, went swimming for the first time and last night she was whining all night. She also won't sit on her butt like she has pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How is she holding her tail?

Does it bother her if you pick that tail up?

Is she reluctant to get up and move around?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her tail is down (and it's usually up)...she seems to be wanting to lying down...I'm thinking she has "sea legs" and still feels the motion of the boat, but I'm not sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still have "sea legs" so I wouldn't be surprised if she still feels like she is on the boat
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Without being able to see your dog personally, it's hard to say what exactly could be going on...however, since she spent a good part of the day in the water yesterday combined with the fact your dog is a hunting dog makes me wonder if perhaps your dog has 'limber tail'...or as it's called in Northern Minnesota, "Lab Tail"

We see many dogs with these flacid, painful tails and the majority of the time, we see it on Labs, although any dog can come down with it. I've seen it mostly in hunting dogs, but I've seen it in Chihuahuas and Bichons too.

You can find more information on the problem here:

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html

http://www.working-retriever.com/library/cwtail.html

In our practice, we generally treat with some kind of anti-inflammatory and rest. The tail generally heals itself within a couple weeks. Since it is a painful issue though, the best thing to do is to have her seen by a vet as soon as possible so they can get her started on some anti-inflammatories ad get her feeling better sooner.

I hope this helps!