Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has what looks likes fever blisters/canker sores on

Customer Question

My dog has what looks likes fever blisters/canker sores on the inside of her mouth...not near her teeth...doesn't seem to bother her at all but it's kinda freaking me out. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible..

Where in her mouth are these?

Does she do a lot of chewing on toys/rawhides/bones, ect?

Do they seem to be red and irritated at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the side of her mouth not on her gums. She's chewing on bones...just like she normally would. Her demeanor hasn't changed at all. I just happened to notice them. Not red, white, cauliflower like. She has a few on both sides of her mouth one side more than the other.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Does she normally chew a lot of bones and hard things?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just bones
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since she is a bone chewer, I suspect these are spots where she has either bitten her cheeks, or it's irritation from the bones rubbing on her mouth.

A good way to check this would be to take away her bones for a week or so. If she's not chewing on anything hard like that, I'd expect to see some improvement in how they look when she's not retraumatizing it by chewing on bones all the time.

If you take away the bones, and there's still no improvement, then you may want to have your vet take a peek, just to make sure it's nothing serious, but I strongly suspect removing the bones for a week or so will give us our answer.

I hope this helps.