Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 9 month old puppy has yellow bumps on s paws that he

Customer Question

My 9 month old puppy has yellow bumps on his paws that he keeps trying to lick. On 2-3 of his paws he won't let me look very good. He isn't walking normal
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Do the bumps look like pimples or pustules?
Are the on the top of his paws?
How long has he had them?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's had them for two days I believe.. They look puss filled. I added the image I took this morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photo,
Poor wee Leo!
If we are seeing swellings with pus inside on his pads, then this tells us that we likely have a bacterial infection present here. This will cause what we are seeing but be particularly uncomfortable for him, hence why he is licking.
Now in regards ***** ***** we will be limited with what we can do at home. This is because we have multiple paws affected and an internal infection (as opposed to a wound). Therefore, it'd be best to have your local vet start him on oral antibiotics and a dog safe anti-inflamamtory (ie Metacam, Rimadyl,Onsior,etc) to reduce discomfort and swelling for him. This will treat from the inside out and give us the best chance of settling this.
In the meantime, you can prevent further self trauma by either putting an e-collar on him or covering the feet with socks (as they wil protect him from chewing these raw and are breathable). Otherwise, you can soak the feet in dilute chlorohexidine, salt water (1tbsp salt/pint warm water) or even diluted Epsom salts. These will reduce the bacterial population on the skin and the last two can help pull fluid and reduce swelling of the feet as well.
Overall, this poor foot looks like we have an abscess within the paw pad. Therefore, we can use the above first aid but oral antibiotics and pain relief would be best here to get him comfortable and settle this for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )