Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My 6# Maltese/poodle mix MAYhave eaten a 60 mg capsule but I

Customer Question

My 6# ***** mix MAYhave eaten a 60 mg capsule but I have my doubts since I can't get any other pills down her. Is she in danger??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup may have eaten something she should not have.
I need to know what medication she may have taken to know how concerned you need to be.
If she seems herself such that the pill hasn't been absorbed yet, and if she just ate the pill, within the past 2-3 hours, it's worth trying to get her to vomit it back up.
You can give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with bread chunks or ice cream.
Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.
If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present.
Once she finishes vomiting and empties her stomach to try and settle her stomach today you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR 
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice.
If you don't have peroxide and you want to be extra safe (since I don't know what she ate) you can get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.
Please let me know if you have any further questions for me or further information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She may have eaten a 60 mg Cymbalta
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Has it been within the last 2 hours?

Do you have any peroxide?

If she is behaving normally and you have peroxide I would induce vomiting.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

The toxic dose of this drug in dogs is 20mg per kilogram.

At 6 pounds she is 2.72kgs (6lb / 2.2lb per kg = 2.72kgs), so a toxic dose would be 54mgs (20mg/kg X 2.72kgs = 54mgs)

If she ate 60mgs she ate a toxic amount.

Toxic symptoms if seen, would be tremors, seizures, vomiting and diarrhea as well as loss of appetite.
See this link for more information: http://www.ehs.lilly.com/msds/msds_duloxetine_hydrochloride_capsules.pdf

If you cannot get her to vomit then a trip to the emergency clinic would be best.