How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16173
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It's Sunday - I've already lost 1 puppy they are 4 wks old,

Customer Question

It's Sunday - I've already lost 1 puppy they are 4 wks old, they have pneumonia. I believe they started with kennel cough, hacking, running nose now rasping in their lungs. Gave penicillin procaine g 300K units shots to remaining pups, along with amoxicillian. What other antibiotic can I give until I go to the vet tomorrow?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have several antibiotics on hand. I had some 1 325 mg clavamox that I split 8 ways and gave to pups. I also have clarithromycin, azithromycin, cipro, cepflaxon, amoxi,
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questoins of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How much of each antibiotic have you given?

How much do the pups weigh?

What kind of pups are they?

What is your zip code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been giving amoxicillan diluted 500 mg with 10 ml and gave 1/2 cc to 5 lb pups. I also gave clavamox 6.25 mg per lb (had 1 tablet leftover) divided 8 ways. And as mentioned above the penicillin shot. approximately .4 cc per pup.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate.

So here's my concern....not only are we not positive that they have pneumonia, we are risking damaging their kidneys by giving so many/much antibiotics.

As I'm sure you know, the kidneys filter everything out of the body, and generally they can handle the job...but when you have essentially neonate pups with small kidneys, and you're asking them to process a bunch of antibiotics, you can risk damaging them beyond repair.

Another issue is we worry more about dehydration than anything at this age. Since I'm guessing that they're not really willing to do a lot of nursing, they likely need some IV or SQ fluids to help keep them hydrated so their immune system can fight this infection.

You sound like someone who has experience in this kind of thing in the past, but since you've already lost some of the pups, I feel it would be negligent of me if I didn't implore you to have them seen by an emergency vet, rather than waiting for your own vet to open tomorrow.

If you're not sure where the emergency vet is in your area, you can go do: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code and they'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

At the emergency vet, they may just treat the pups as sort of 'herd health'...meaning, they may examine one pup, but then treat them all since they're all sick with the same thing. They'll also likely get some fluids into them. You should make a point to tell them which antibiotics you've already given, since some can interact negatively with one another.

I wish I felt comfortable telling you to wait until tomorrow, but I think it's best for the remaining pups to have them seen today.