Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is Tramadol 50mg prescribed the same as Tramadol 50 mg

Customer Question

Is Tramadol 50mg prescribed for dogs the same as Tramadol 50 mg prescribed for humans? If so, what is the dosage for a 20 pound puppy currently on Gabapentin 100mg twice daily for pain?
Thank you, Loren
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Tramadol is a drug which is being used more often in dogs these days, it is regarded as a potent pain killer with a high margin of safety and few side effects in dogs. The human form and the dog form are just the same.

2. For post-operative pain relief for example a dose rate of 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given each 12 hours is often used.

3. Tramadol and Gabapentin are very different drugs and work in different ways, in my experience these drugs can be used together if necessary.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.