eclimber
eclimber, Veterinarian
Experience:  veterinarian and long time dog owner
24704774

I noticed something strange on my dogs coats 2 days ago.

Customer Question

I noticed something strange on my dogs coats 2 days ago. When I felt it, it felt like fluid under the skin. Probably about 3-4 inches long and 2 inches high. The following day there was a baseball size knot above that same area. It is malleable but does not move around. It looks like there is a small pimple or bite close to the same spot. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and it doesn't seem to bother her when I touch it. Thoughts?
Thank you
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  eclimber replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine.
I'd like to ask you a few questions if I may.
Where is the knot located?
Does she play with any other animals?
Where does she sleep?
How is her appetite?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for your reply.Knot is on her right side above/on her ribs.
Yes, we have a 4 year old pit/mastiff mixShe is crate trained but we have been house sitting for the last month so she has made herself comfortable on the couch. haAppetite is good
Expert:  eclimber replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks.
If this is indeed fluid-filled, given the location you describe it is likely an abscess (infection) or a cyst.
Even a tiny puncture wound can introduce infection that leads to the body "walling off" such an infection and thereby creating an abscess.
Sometimes these will become hard under pressure from accumulating fluid and burst. While often they are painful, it doesn't have to be until the pressure becomes great and tissues become very inflamed.
A "cyst" is also fluid filled, but not with pus (the thick fluid in an abscess). These arise spontaneously, although not usually in young animals, and not the size you describe.
A veterinarian should take a look at it, since it may need to be lanced/drained to avoid the greater tissue damage that occurs when such infections rupture on their own.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  eclimber replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure