Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is walking with an arch in s back and is hesitant to

Customer Question

My dog is walking with an arch in his back and is hesitant to walk around or go up or down stairs. I saw here that it might be a disk problem, is there anyway we can reduce the pain he is in, if there is any at all.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
You're correct to suspect intervertebral disk disease in an 11 year old miniature dog with that posture, reluctance to navigate stairs or jump up and down, vocalize when approached or lifted, shaking/trembling, and perhaps demonstrating a change in behavior such as a normally social dog becoming reclusive or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy".
You're necessarily constrained to the use of aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food twice daily. You must avoid both ibuprofen and naproxen - both of which are toxic to dogs. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is safe but its efficacy is circumspect in dogs. Button's vet has more potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as carprofen or meloxicam than aspirin and can prescribe a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam as well as a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol.
Please keep Button as quiet as possible until he can be attended to by his vet. Any sign of paresis (weakness) or, indeed, paralysis in a limb(s) indicates prompt attention by a vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.