Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have 5 years old dachshund. About a year ago he started to

Customer Question

Hi Jane, I have 5 years old dachshund. About a year ago he started to have blood in his urine. We went to the wet they done all the tests - blood samples, urine samples, prostate check, bladder stone check, they didn´t find anything. They told me it´s propably caused by hormons and they wanted to castrate him. We didn´t go with it. He had antibiotics as well. He still has the blood in his urine. It´s not much it´s just a dripping at the end. He doesn´t show any pain or discomfort. He doesn´t urinate more often. He eats and drinks properly. We don´t want to castrate him. Can you recomend me something I could try? Thanks a lot for your help Kate
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Filip. It does sound as if he continues to suffer from prostatitis which is directly related to his testosterone (one of the sex hormones) level. If you don't want to castrate him, you can see how a combination of an antibiotic which penetrates well into the prostate gland such as chloramphenicol, trimethoprim-sulfadiazine, or enrofloxacin plus finasteride - a drug that can reduce prostate size and make clearing of infection more readily - affects him.
I don't know if these drugs are available over the counter in the Czech republic or must be prescribed by Filip's vet. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.