Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I accidently dropped a 1 mg xanex on the floor and I have

Customer Question

I accidently dropped a 1 mg xanex on the floor and I have three dogs, on is 4lbs, on is 10lbs and one is 7lbs I don't know which one are it but I am freaking out, I tried hp put they keep spitting it out, should I go to ER vet?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help it's sat and I can't get a vet on the phone, all dogs are acting normal but this happened roughly 10 mins ago. I can't lose one of my babies please help me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did you drop it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Literally 10-15 mins ago, I didn't realize it wasn't in my hand until I went to put it in my mouth and I realized I dropped it, I was only standing in the bathroom and all three dogs were in there and it is not anywhere on the floor I searched every possible noooo and cranny. One of them had to have eaten it, I'm sure of that I just don't know which one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are all acting normal and I read to give them HObto make them vomit but they run and hide and won't swallow it. I'm freaking out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hydrogen peroxide
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One is a 4 lb chihuahua, one is a 9.7lb chihuahua and then the 7lb chihuahua, the 9lb and 7lb are just under a year old and the 4lb is 6 years old
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
If it was this recent, then it will be hard to tell since adverse effects (agitation or sedation) will not have developed yet. Still, since this is a dose much to big for all three of them, we do have to be concerned and be proactive here.
Therefore, you were right to try to induce vomiting. It is still worthwhile, but if you were struggling, I would note that you can mix the peroxide with milk or soak it up with a piece of bread to get them to eat it. And this is something we'd need to do for all three suspects since they are all much too small for this dose.
As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here for your wee ones.
Of course, if you cannot carry out the above or are struggling, then they should be taken to the ER. They can do the above for you +/- use injectable apomorphine to get them vomiting and get this out of their system before it can cause any harm.
Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet