Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Yesterday My dog was sick 6 hours. Went to vet and she

Customer Question

Yesterday My dog was sick for over 6 hours. Went to vet and she received anti vomit medicine and subcutaneous fluids. She had an X-ray and bloodworm and tests were negative. She is home and has not been sick since getting the medicine but now has diarrhea. Not much but very loose and is reddish brown. Is this something that can happen in the course of this treatment? While she was sick and vomiting her stool was fine and was tested today. Now after all treatment she has diarrhea. She slept ok during night but had diarrhea this morning. Only ate a small amount of chicken. She is still not herself and remains extremely lethargic today. She is normally very sweet and cuddly and now going to corner of room to sleep and be alone. What should we do? Should she have started to feel better by now or is this normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Bella is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Did she see the vet yesterday or today?

Can you tell me if she had any changes to her diet before this happened including new treats, foods or human foods?

Was her stool tested in the vets office or sent out to the lab?

Is she spayed, if not when was her last heat cycle?

Can you take a rectal temp?

Did your vet send her home on any medications?

Does she ever eat things she should not such as small toys, clothing, sticks etc?