Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
25161683

I have a 7 yo female Chihuahua with mild diareha after staying at the

Customer Question

I have a 7 yo female Chihuahua with mild diareha after staying at the kennel for one week. They fed her grilled chicken and her own dry food. She will not eat dry food now. it's been a week.
According to the kennel, she was active but would not eat so to entice her, they gave her grilled chicken. She will not eat her dry dog food now. She will eat any table sraps that are offered. She is active but not eating normally and has the runs during bowel movements.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Any other symptoms besides the diarrhea? 2- Any blood in the stool?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal. Then wean her back into her regular diet by mixing the rice and meat with her food.
Note: Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis as initial screening test.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gracie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter