Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My one year old corgi ate a desiccant just 30 minutes ago I

Customer Question

My one year old corgi ate a desiccant just 30 minutes ago I tried to take out of her mouth but she was able to swallow few of them. What will I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thank you for your question regarding your young Corgi who managed to eat part of a desiccant sachet. These desiccants are typically silica gel. Thankfully silica gel is non toxic to dogs, however if enough is eaten, it can potentially cause a partial or complete obstruction in the bowel. You don't have to take any further action here, however I would recommend feeding her a bland diet for the next few days. For this, cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and rice is ideal, and feeding this for 2 - 3 days would be ideal. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EBonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciatedIf you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this is really an emergency my dog could have died already, because of so many advertisements that I have to go through. I am not totally satisfied because I will have to wait for three days to see the result of your answer to my question. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all and best of luck with Darla. I will pass on your feedback regarding advertisements to our customer services team. Apologies that is took you time to get through to me. Kind Regards, ***** *****