Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My dog tore open her bed last night and hasn't pooped toda

Customer Question

My dog tore open her bed last night and hasn't pooped today
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Melody tore open her bed last night and has not passed stool today. That certainly would make one concerned that she could have ingested part of her bed which could lead to an obstruction, and thus no stools today.Not passing any stools isn't necessarily cause for panic, foreign material can slow the intestinal tract down, and she may still get through this.How is she behaving today?Has she eaten and drank like usual?Is she straining to pass stool, but unsuccessful?Is her abdomen tense and uncomfortable with gentle pressure?Any vomiting?Is she lethargic? If she isn't eating and drinking, has vomited, is very lethargic, has a tense painful abdomen with gentle pressure or is very lethargic then she should see a veterinarian on an emergency basis as those symptoms could indicate an obstruction. But if she's acting normally and you believe that she chewed the bed into small pieces we can try some things at home to see if we can get her to pass the pieces successfully, but you will need to watch her closely for signs of an obstruction.To help I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed it to her bite sized piece by bite sized piece or she will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the pieces slip rather than catch.For the next few days, until the pieces pass, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded, and the pieces don't get caught up.A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Add 2-4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.You'll need to check her stools frequently for pieces in the next few days.Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.If you aren't seeing fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to look for gas pattern changes that could indicate an obstruction is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have her checked.Once the pieces are passed and she's feeling well then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.Please let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm just checking to make sure that you don't have any further questions for me, and see how your pup is progressing. Please let me know if you have any further questions.