Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Just need to know best anti inflamatory my 77lb boxer girl

Customer Question

Just need to know best anti inflamatory my 77lb boxer girl can take with the 50mg of tramadol shes taking for her hips/back. I have rimadyl just need to make sure ones helping the other vs just layering over the pain.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Rimadyl would be a very good option to use for her in combination with her Tramadol. Other options that are equally as good (as there is no best as all work equally well --though we do find that some dogs do respond better to one then another, just as we do with our own medication) would include Metacam, Previcox, and Onsior. SO, if Rimadyl works well for her, it would be fine to use. Otherwise, if it didn't give us ideal analgesia, then we could consider trying another or even steroids if need be.
Finally, I would just note that it is important to know that Tramadol and any of these aforementioned non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) do not work together, as much as work in different ways to keep her as pain free as possible. The NSAIDs reduce inflammation to reduce pain; where Tramadol (which is the same family as Morphine) addresses pain alone. So, they are a very good combination to work in different ways safely to keep her as comfortable as possible.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )