Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dogs eye has a clear discharge and she is keeping it shut

Customer Question

My dogs eye has a clear discharge and she is keeping it shut most of the time
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 6 year old girl Tulsa who has a clear discharge from one eye that she is keeping shut most of the time.
There are a number of things that could be causing this eye issue ranging from a foreign body underneath Tulsa's eyelid, an upper respiratory infection or just conjunctivitis. If she isn't in much discomfort and you want to try something from home, then you could gently wipe your girl's eye with some cool black tea on cotton wool. The tannins in the tea may help settle any mild conjunctivitis she has. Just boil up some tea - let it cool, then use this twice a day for 4 - 5 days.
If you don't see any improvement during this time, or if she seems uncomfortable now - then you really will need to get her seen tomorrow morning if possible. Here you Vet can apply a local anesthetic, check beneath the third eyelid to ensure there isn't a foreign body present, and carry out a fluorette test to ensure there aren't a corneal ulcer. If she seems otherwise fine and she isn't squinting excessively, then you could try the cool tea for a start. If you start this, but then Tulsa seems to develop more discharge, or becomes uncomfortable, then as above, follow up with your Vet. It is always better to be safe with eye issues and to see Veterinary intervention sooner rather than later if the issues doesn't seem to improve within 24 hours.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your girl Tulsa. How is she doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E