Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My wee dog back legs no working she keeps falling to the side

Customer Question

My wee dog back legs no working she keeps falling to the side and going round in circles all the time. Had her at vet 3 times they have no idea
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like your dog may have ruptured a disc in her back. This is a common cause of rear leg weakness or paralysis in dogs. It's especially common in small breed dogs. To make the diagnosis, you need some type of special imaging. That would be an MRI or CT scan. If you want to get to the bottom of this, I would see a veterinary neurologist or a veterinary surgeon who does back surgery. They should have some imaging to determine what is causing this. If it's a disc, then surgery will be needed to go in and decompress the spinal cord. If it's a non-compressive lesion (clot or stroke), then physical therapy for 3-4 weeks should allow the return of function. I know your vet has looked into this, but you will need some better imaging to determine what is going on and how to fix this. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cassie. How is everything going?