Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne ,
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

We just lost dad earlier in the minth. Our husky is yelping

Customer Question

We just lost dad earlier in the minth. Our husky is yelping and won't go in another room unless I am with her and now is constantly beside me, behavior she never exhibited before.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 1 year ago.
Hello there, my name is***** and I am a veterinarian with over 9 years experience. I am hoping to assist you with Snow today. First my condolences for the loss of your dad. Are you asking if the loss of your father could be the cause of Snow's behavior?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Was Snow very close to your Dad? Yes dogs can experience grief when they lose a loved once. Many time they will show the same signs you mentioned such as howling and become clingy. Other signs that they may show include loss of appetite, they may seem confused especially if they deceased played a major role in the pet daily routine, they may become restless, or may just want to sleep or avoid everyone. It is still recommended that you have Snow checked out by a veterinarian just to make sure there are no existing medical problems that could be causing these behavioral changes as well. To help your pet, you may need to spend some extra time with her, taking her on extra walks, and try to distract her with treats. If your father had any personal items such as a blanket you may want to give it to Snow so she can at least experience his scent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She preferred to sleep in my room though she would sit next to him and he would pet her and run his hands down her back. He was usually the one to feed her. He did spend a lot of time outdoors doing yard work and she wouldn't be far from him. She came in one time to tell me he had filled in one of her holes. He was in transitional therapy and she did spend a lot of time laying next to him. Thank you you have been very helpful. The hospital was kind enough to give me his blanket for snow after he had passed. I will get that for her. Thank you.
You are welcome. Let me know if you need any other help. I will be happy to assist any way I can