Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a almost 11 yr old lab mix female. first 8

Customer Question

I have a almost 11 yr old lab mix female. For the first 8 yrs of her life she had food delivered and was a self feeder w/perfect weight. A couple yrs ago the company went out of business and we had to change her food. We continued the self feed until we realized her huge weight gain. Then had to restrict her feeding to 2x a day. She has become so fixated on food. It's the only reason she greats us now or hangs with us, in hopes of getting a treat. She randomly would go down to the basement or hallway and pee on the carpet.
We have woods behind our house and she gets to go on long walks everyday and swim in the river. Her weight is optimum now, but now she's a different dog.
I worry because she's really has a lot more anxiety. What to do???
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also would like info on supplements for older dogs and brain function.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...When was the last time she got a physical at the vet?When she's urinating in the basement/hallway, is it a lot of urine, or just a little?Does she seem to be drinking more than usual?Does she ever seem to get more anxious/restless at night?Any other unusual behaviors?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
How much are you feeding her at each feeding?How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just had a check up and all was fine.
Feed her 3 c a day and her weight in 65.
Peed a fair amt. about her usual pee outside. She's like a male and pees a lot outside as a marker.
She's always been a big drinker. But nothing has changed except for the amt of water all over the floor when she's done.
Not more anxious at any particular time.
She literally sleeps next to me, gets up and bypasses going out in order to eat. Ignores my hubby when he gets dressed and goes downstairs.
Use to greet us when we came home, now it's only if she's getting a treat.
Around feeding time just pants, follows me around, then when she's done eating goes upstairs and lays down.
Someone told me that she was angry with us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can call if it's easier
443/5209427
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
DO you know if they checked her thyroid?Was all her blood work normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All was normal.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm actually going to opt out of this question and see if I can't get a vet with some better ideas to pick this up. Please don't reply to me, or you'll lock the others out.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about this change in your dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I will not be able to call you, but we can continue in this format, if you like. Do you know what blood tests were done? Was a urinalysis done? This is an Information Request, to help me answer your questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was tested for Lyme, thyroid, Cushing.
Urinalysis for UTI, diabetes and kidney function. All normal!I think it's more psychological and wondered how to treat it.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Psychological problems are usually more difficult to treat than physical problems, so it is important to rule out all physical problem first.
A change in behavior in an 11 year old dog could be due to things like brain aging (dementia, cognitive dysfunction), or even a brain tumor.
I would consider starting some good supplements for older dogs for brain aging: fish oil (enough fish oil to get 1000 milligrams of EPA and DHA), and anti oxidants (I like one made just for dogs called Cell Advance, available online).
If her problems are behavioral/psychological, then the way to treat them is to get a specific diagnosis: anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, etc. because just like with physical diseases, the treatment depends on the diagnosis. If she has an anxiety disorder, these supplements may help, or she may need prescription anxiety medication. But I would start with the supplements, and give them a few weeks to a month to see if they help
Let me know what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is your dog doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?