Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Ok my dog is not well, he isn't eating. Been almost 3 weeks-he has gone to his vet an

Customer Question

Ok my dog is not well, he isn't eating. Been almost 3 weeks-he has gone to his vet and to University of Pennsylvania Matthew J Ryan Veterinary hospital.
They have run every test out there. Nothing is showing up. He hasn't bsrked in a couple weeks, he has a lil puss coming out of his penis.
They gave me medicine but it's oral n I have been having a very hard time gettimg it in him.
We are at a lose n don't know what to do, I feel like he is suffering mostly because he is not eating. What can I do?
He is a mix boxer/mastiff
He has lost about 15 pounds at minimum
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Pete. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
What is the medication he is taking?
Do you have his records and test results from Penn? I don't want to recommend anything that has already been done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sucralfate
(They said to give it in water via syringe 2 hours before/after other meds)Mirtazapine 15mg-I have made this as a slurry for him...I got 1/2 the syringe full in him today n he did eat a very little but after
(For his appetite)20mg Prilosec-but I haven't gotten him to actually take that-he spits it out
And they gave me 1 maropitant which he took when he came home from PennThe only thing they saw in all of his tests was a small inflammation in his GI
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Gosh, I need more information if I can be of help. I need to know what tests (specific blood tests, Xrays, ultrasound, etc.) have been done.
Not eating and weight loss can be signs of dozens of illnesses. Since he has already been seen, examined, and had tests at Penn I don't want to tell you things that have already been done. I really would need to see his records and test results to be of help.
Is the sucralfate and maropitant helping with vomiting and appetite?
What test showed inflammation in his bowel? Usually that diagnosis requires a biopsy; was a biopsy done?