Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog is going in to have an xray at 8am, when should I not

Customer Question

my dog is going in to have an xray at 8am, when should I not feed her and can she have water. my vet said he will have to sedate her for the xray.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. The recommendations can vary from veterinarian to veterinarian as far as when to pull up food the evening prior to a procedure. I tell clients that they should pull up food at 10 pm the night before and they can still have access to water. Some will recommend pulling up food and water, but I like them to have water available as this helps them to stay hydrated. I would just try to not let them tank up on water immediately before leaving for the vet's office in the morning. I hope the x-rays go well tomorrow.