Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I'm at the vet now. Duke is a 25lb Australian labradoodle who

Customer Question

I'm at the vet now. Duke is a 25lb Australian labradoodle who ate 350 tablets of vitamin d3 at 2000iu per capsule. He at these between 9am and 5pm. Will he die?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for requesting me. Sorry to hear what happened to Duke. My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. 1. First the numbers : This is quite a cause for concern in your case because the maximum safe level of vitamin D is usually regarded as 10,000 IU per Kg of your dog's bodyweight. Your dog weighs 11.3 kg so his toxic dose is 113,000 IU. But the amount he actually swallowed was 350 x 2000 = 700,000 IU which is unfortunately a clear overdose. 2. " Will he die? " : Not all dogs die from such overdoses in my experience { although there are no guarantees } provided you act quickly. You have done the right thing in taking your dog to the vet promptly, treatment will consist of a high level of support including IV fluids and there are also drugs which can be given to help neutralise the Vitamin D. 3. Here is a link to an in depth article which covers vitamin D overdose in the dog. : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?