Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I was looking at an older post of a dog that was walking funny (dru***** *****ke) but some

Customer Question

I was looking at an older post of a dog that was walking funny (dru***** *****ke) but sometimes walked fine. My dog is doing the same thing. We just got back from a vacation in the mountains and he was fine before we went. Now occasionally he walks with deliberate steps and seems druken. I took him to the vet yesterday and they said it could be a pulled muscle (he didn't do the funny walk at the vets). So they gave him some pain medicine and said to come back if it didn't get better or got worse. I am thinking they were wrong but don't know how long I should give it before I go back. Thanks, Anne
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your dog is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.I just have a few questions. How often do these episodes happen and how long do they last. Can you tell me if it is anything like either of the below videos.Link 1Link 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It seems like he has the trouble most of the day. Sometimes he does walk and run normally though. But he has more trouble than he does act normally.The second video seems the most like his trouble with out the drooling.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Ok both videos are of dogs having seizures, however if this is happening most of the day then I would put that possibility lower on the list.It is possible however that this is a neurological problem which I would put higher on the list then a pain problem. If the problem does not resolve then it is very likely that your vet would refer you to a neurologist so it may be best just to go ahead and do that yourself now.Neurological problems can be caused by actual damage or tumors of the brain or spine but they can also be caused by problems with the liver, kidneys, parasites, infection or diabetes just to name a few.It would be a good idea to start with a full blood panel to see if there are any abnormalities there. Now please understand I have not seen him nor do I have access to medical records but from what you have described it does sound to me like more testing needs to be done.I would also try to video how he is walking so the vets can see exactly what you are seeing. Some times that helps to decide which direction diagnostics should go. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.Candy
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Candy
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I just wanted to check in and see how things were going.