Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My adopted feline was diagnosed FIV+ Do dog also get any

Customer Question

My adopted feline was diagnosed FIV+ Do dog also get any form of AIDS> Know can't contaminate people
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
FIV virus is not transmittable to dogs, fortunately; this is a cat-only virus. In fact, there is no equivalent disease which affects dogs in the same way that this virus does to cats.
So your dog and any other pets which you might have are safe from contracting this disease.
In fact, even if you have other cats, as long as they don't fight such that bite wounds are inflicted from this cat to another one, they can co-exist with minimal risk of transmission to this other cat.
Many shelters house FIV+ cats with the general population of cats (as long as they get along) and the virus is not spread to other residents.
I hope this helps to reassure you if you have a dog who may come in contact with your newly adopted cat. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Valerie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb