Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Does Swiffer or Windex with Vinegar harm dogs? Used both products to clean my floors an

Customer Question

Does Swiffer or Windex with Vinegar harm dogs?
Used both products to clean my floors and this is the second time dog is licking his feet and foot pads are red/inflamed....
Thought it was Allergy.... but now im worried!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....When did Bouncer get into them?How long was it between when you cleaned your floors and when you noticed him licking his feet?Was it just the plain Swiffer mop product?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More than like this past Wednesday I used Swifter product and it was moist product....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am concerned as he continual licks his feet....
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.If it's been about 4-5 days since you did the floors, then it's unlikely that it's any product that is causing him to lick at his feet. Sometimes Swiffer can cause some irritation, but it's not enough to cause a chemical burn or anything that should last this long.I think you're probably right that it could be allergies. If this were me, I'd cover all my bases by doing a couple things:1st...I'd wash his feet with a gentle soap (I like baby shampoo because it doesn't sting or dry the skin) and then patting them dry. You can apply a little topical antibiotic such as Neosporin in a very thin later, and try to discourage him from licking for at least 10 minutes to allow the medication to sink in.2nd...I'd give him a little Benadryl. The normal dose is 1-2mg/pound, so if Bouncer weighs 10 pounds, he can have between 1/2 - 1 of the regular 25mg tablets once every 8 hours or so.Then I'd re-evaluate him tomorrow. If he's still bothering his feet, then it might not be a bad idea to have your vet take a peek, just in case it's a bacterial infection that requires some oral antibiotics, but I suspect the washing and Benadryl will do the trick to get him some relief.I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bouncer. How is everything going?

Lisa