Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My beagle has a crack near the where her nail starts to grow.

Customer Question

My beagle has a crack near the where her nail starts to grow. I think it snagged on something, but part of her nail has turned black and blue. She keeps licking it constantly, and favors it a lot. Underneath the toenail there is a small pinkish spot that looks different from the other toenails. I just want to know what I can do because I don't want her to be in pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible...How long has the nail been injured?Is it doing any bleeding?I know she's favoring it, but will she use it at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been injured for about a week. it looks like it has bled in-between the toes and yes she will use it but is very careful when she uses it.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.The thing about these cracked nails is there's really nothing you can do at home. It's painful and the quick (that pink part) is exposed making it pretty painful to the touch.The only thing to fix it is having it clipped off where it's broken. Of course, that's super painful, so having it done at a vet is the only option. They'll lightly sedate Mia and clip it off where it's cracked. They'll use a cautery agent to get the bleeding stopped and will send out an antibiotic and pain medication to help her heal.This isn't something you need to rush to the emergency vet for. You can absolutely wait until your regular vet opens in the morning and have them take a peek. But if this were my dog, I'd make sure it gets done tomorrow...the longer it's left the way it is, the longer it'll take to heal because she'll be continually retraumatizing it when she walks or hits it on something.I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kristen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mia. How is everything going?

Lisa