Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has been on Prednisone. Benedryl and I wipe his fur

Customer Question

My dog has been on Prednisone. Benedryl and I wipe his fur with apple cider vinegar since may when pollen was bad. He was better at first but before he finished the prednisone he was scratching again. I brush him to try to give him some relief but this
morn he is really fidgety. Help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...Has he ever had allergy testing done?How much Benadryl do you give and how often?How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 86 yrs old, don't recall if he has been tested . My husband gives him 1 Benedryl a day I think. He weighs 53 pounds. He gained lots of weight on the prednisone and drank much water.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.So the average dose of Benadryl for a dog is 1-2mg per pound...which means your guy could have between 2-4 of the regular 25mg tablets once every 8 hours or so.If Duke were mine...I'd up the amount of Benadryl you're giving. Have your husband give him 2 Benadryl in the morning and 2 in the early evening (around dinner time). That should help a great deal.I hope this helps.