Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog is walking funny like drunk, did vomit earlier 2day

Customer Question

my dog is walking funny like drunk, did vomit earlier 2day after drinking water, no frothing at mouth, then she comes good.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....How long has Rainbow been acting like this?Is there any chance she got into anything unusual?Any new foods, treats or people food?Is she spayed?Does she have a head tilt at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just found rainbow in laundry when we came home, in a fit like state. No nothing got into were very concious of that wiz animals & kids. No new foods or anything. She she is spayed. She walks funny back legs dont work she falls over she rie to walk & she seeks cuddles, last about 2 minutes. Has had four like this in space of hour now
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.It sounds to me like Rainbow is having seizures, and new onset seizures in a dog who hasn't had them before is always cause for concern and a trip to the nearest emergency vet.There are actually two different kinds of seizures: grand mal (where the whole body is involved and the dog isn't conscious) and petite mal (where only one muscle group is involved...often, this looks like fly biting). From your description, it sounds like she's having grand mal seizures. Without being able to see her in person and evaluate her, it's hard to give you a 'for sure' answer on how to handle what is going on...however, as a general rule, we really do worry about 'big' seizures...grand mals that last more than a few minutes at a time, or ones that seem to come right on top of one another (cluster seizures) more than focal seizures that only last a few seconds and only happen a couple times a year, however new ones are always cause for a vet visit. Unfortunately seizures can be caused by many things from brain tumors to underlying organ disease (such as kidney or liver) or even ingestion of a toxin. Because we're not sure exactly what is causing the seizures in your dog, it is incredibly important that you have her evaluated by a vet as soon as possible. They'll run some blood work to see if there is something underlying causing these seizures and will be able to get her on some medication to get the seizures stopped. In a 7-year old dog, she is at the perfect age for something like epilepsy to show up, so it's possible that's what is causing these seizures.If this were me, I'd have her seen by an emergency vet immediately. If you're not sure where one is in your area, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code and they'll point you in the right direction towards the one nearest to you.I hope she does well.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rainbow. How is everything going?

Lisa