Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my 9 week old puppy just had a seizure while sleeping.

Customer Question

Hi, I think my 9 week old puppy just had a seizure while sleeping. She was twitching and she did have a foamy mouth. She has been to the vet, got her shots and was just fine. She is a mix breed dog. I am worried that she got her distemper vaccine twice. The place we bought her said they gave it to her on the 14th, and the vet said she should get it again, because there is no way to tell if the store is being honest. He gave her the vaccine again on the 24th. What should I do? She seems fine otherwise. She plays, eats good, and goes to the bathroom normally.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Having had 2 vaccinations in close succession will do your lass no harm. As well, it is not likely the cause of this possible seizure you have seen. Now as long as she is fine now and you are sure that she has had no head injuries and no access to toxins; we would just want to monitor her at this point. If we see any more seizures, then we'd want a check with her local vet urgently.
We can see the occasional rare seizure arise in dogs that cause no lasting issue. But if we saw more then one or she was unwell afterwards then we'd need to consider having her examined +/- tested to make sure that all her organs (especially her liver) are working as they should and rule out the possibility of head trauma, toxin exposure, or epilepsy.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had another seizure while sleeping. I don't get it. She then got up and went outside like normal and played and then came back in to eat. Which she ate just fine. What is going on?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
If she has had another but is acting normally, then I do think it is best to plan to have her seen by her vet at this stage. That way we can just make sure there is no toxic or sinister reason for this.
All the best,
Dr. B