Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Our 5 month old rescue puppy has been scratching, licking and biting a lot. We noticed red

Customer Question

Our 5 month old rescue puppy has been scratching, licking and biting a lot. We noticed red bumps on her legs, tummy and a little on the ears. She also chews skin off her paw pads. She recently had other health issues, kennel cough that turned into pneumonia (was on at least 3 antibiotics), as well as 3 different intestinal parasites we had to treat. We have been assuming it's allergies, trying to find a solution as she scratches away her fur. Meanwhile, our 9 year old dog- who has never had any health issues and no allergies, has started scratching and we can see red bumps on the inside of his back legs. I know allergies aren't catchy. We did think of fleas- but we haven't seen a single flea and no flea dirt on the dogs. Can you shed any light on this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...How long have you had Oakley?Has she had this skin stuff since you got her?Any hair loss?Has the vet tried any anti-histamines?What are you feeding her?What kinds of treats does she get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got Oakley on June 13th. She came from Texas to Washington. She scratched some when we first got her, but it's gotten a lot worse. She has lost hair on her legs, belly and a little on her ears. Yes- we have tried hydroxizine. We feed her Taste of the Wild dry food, and a little wet food of various types to mix some coconut oil into (we just started doing this 11 days ago). All the wet food and treats are all grain free. Our 9 year old dog is now scratching too with red spots as well.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.Knowing that Oakley came from Texas, and that she was probably exposed to lots of other dogs, I suspect that we're actually dealing with mange. Mange is one of those parasites that will take advantage of a compromised immune system, and since Oakley had so many health issues, I have no doubt that's what is going on here.There are actually two types of mange mites: sarcoptes and demodex. In order to effectively treat the mange, you first have to identify which type of mite it is that is causing the problem. This can only be done at your vets office. During the appointment, your vet or tech will take a skin scraping of the affected area and will check under the microscope to identify which type of mite you have. Demodex looks like this: http://www.fsbio-hannover.de/oftheweek/256/demodex_canis.jpg And here's some information on Demodex: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html Sarcoptes looks like this: http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/_uploads/images/Sarcoptes.jpg And here is some information on Sarcoptes: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html Regardless of which type of mange mite your dog has, it will require veterinary treatment to ensure that the mites are completely eradicated.That being said, I don't think that she needs to be seen by an emergency vet or anything...you can absolutely wait and have your own vet take a peek at her on Monday. They'll likely do a skin scraping and then give her the right medication to get it cleared up. If they determine that it is mange...make sure you tell them your older dog has it too. They'll send out the right meds for him as well. I hope this helps
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oakley. How is everything going?

Lisa