Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My granddog has had an infection in his eye a month

Customer Question

My granddog has had an infection in his eye for over a month now..he has been to vet twice and received antibiotic eyedrops, prednisone, an antihistamine and an oral antibiotic..nothing seems to be working. He appears to have a sty above one eye and pimply looking protrusions around the the eye in the lid. He is an 18 lb schnauzer/yorkie mix..any other suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...Did the sty and the infection show up at the same time?Has the vet done any testing on the eye such as a pressure test or staining it?What color is the discharge from his eye?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes..at same time. No testing at vet. Just clear discharge but that is not the issue..swollen spot above eye that looks like a sty and inside of eye lid has bumps on it.. Vet has diagnosed conjunctivitis but there is no improvement despite a lot of meds.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.So here's my thought...since the sty and the eye issue showed up at the same time, I can't help but think that this isn't an infection going on (especially since the discharge is clear...infectious discharge is mostly yellow or greenish), but rather the sty is irritating the eye, causing it to water and/or be red.If this were my dog, I'd give the vet a call on Monday when they open (I don't feel like this is an emergency vet trip issue) and have them take a better look. Ask them about doing a tear test, checking the pressures, and possibly staining the eye to look for corneal abrasions. Since the sty has swollen area, I'd be willing to bet that the vet will find out that the stye is rubbing on the eye on the inside.I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sandy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Lisa