Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a yellow lab that stays outside and his left ear has

Customer Question

I have a yellow lab that stays outside and his left ear has a pretty significant odor, has a blackish drainage (it coats the hair just around the ear) and now a raw red spot about 1/2 inch in diameter has formed on the floppy part of the ear. His ear hurts when we touch or pet him close to it. Any suggestions on cause and treatment?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years and it will be my pleasure to help you today. Labs are notorious for ear infections and this would show gunk coming from the ear. An ear infection would likely have the dog rub or scratch the area with its paw. This can cause a hot spot, or just an open wound that will grow as the dog scratches it. It is likely that you will need some antibiotic drops from the vet for the inner ear or they may choose to pack the ear so you don't have to be bothered with drops. You will likely be prescribed some spray antibiotic for the wound on the ear itself. This wound will need to be cleaned which you can do at home but if the dog is not letting you touch it then the spray antibiotic is the way you want to go. Keep in mind that open wounds on an outside dog brings flies.Slies lay eggs in the wound and then you will see maggots on the dog. I would advise at this point you clean the sore the best you can with some betadine iodine from the drug store and start putting some antibiotic ointment on the wound. You will need to keep the dogs feet away from the wound and keep the dog from rubbing it at all so you should invest in a cone (Elizabethan ) collar from a major pet store. I would also keep the dog inside so flies cannot get to the wound. Either way I would make an appointment with your Vet for Monday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. If you are satisfied with my service please don't forget to rate before you leave so the company recognizes my time with you. I also want to mention that if the dog shakes his head or scratches the ears a lot then this can also open him up to an arual hematoma which is when the ear flap fills with blood , so it would have a soft squishy feel to it. It does not always happen but thought you should be aware:) Have a nice summer:)
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maverick. How is everything going?

Sally G.