Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 16 year old mini pin is not doing great and I'm tormented

Customer Question

My 16 year old mini pin is not doing great and I'm tormented to decide if she's had enough. They told me she had cushings disease many years ago but due to her extreme anxiety I couldn't leave her at the vet to have further testing. She drinks a lot of water, pees in the house without letting us know she had to go out. She still eats good. She can barely see, can't hear good and seems to forget why she is outside in the first place. She doesn't have a pot belly or hair loss. When she walks, her hind end seems to go in its own direction, she keeps her tail pinned down as if to protect her backside. She falls over all the time and can't always manage stairs. I don't want her to suffer but I feel I'm the one who doesn't want to let her go. I don't know what to do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible...On a scale from 1 - 10....with 1 being like she was when she was a young dog, and 10 being completely unable to move, not eating/ect...what would you rate her quality of life as?Does she always eat okay?Does she act happy to be with you?