Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog a 17 months Labrador eat a piece of jerky and

Customer Question

Hello.
My dog a 17 months Labrador eat a piece of jerky and probably got stuck in his troat. Still moves and breath normal, but he makes noises like something is inhis troat
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Sorry no one answered your question earlier. Most likely there is nothing caught in your dog's throat. You can try and examine the throat to see if you can see the jerky in the throat, but it is more likely that the jerky scratched your dog's throat. When the throat is scratched it causes a dog to have a cough that sounds very much like a gagging and even can lead to vomiting if they cough too hard.
Since he is moving and breathing normally, that is the likely cause. Be sure to give him plenty of water so the jerky becomes soft and moves through his system easier. Watch for vomiting, a loss of appetite and inability to defecate which might indicate an intestinal obstruction. You can read about that here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx
If you see any of those symptoms or he has problems breathing, have him seen immediately. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.