Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Dog developed large sore under his collar. It was not too

Customer Question

dog developed large sore under his collar. It was not too tight I could slip three fingers under collar. Had no idea this could happen with loose collar. smells is raw and some hair loss. About the size of your hand.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. The original expert you asked for is no longer with us. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today. What you are likely seeing is a hot spot. This is common in the summer months or in any climate where moisture will stay on the skin and not dry out. IF the dog had a bath, was out in the rain or goes swimming then the area under the collar stays moist causing moist dermatitis ( hot spot) What you will need to do is keep the dog from scratching the area which will make it worse. I would shave any hair around the area off because this area needs to dry out. Clean it with with antibacterial soap and dry well. Then apply a triple antibiotic ointment to it. Do this several times a day. IN some cases the infection goes deep and in those cases you will need oral antibiotics from your Vet. They may also prescribe a spray on antibiotic ointment as some dogs will not let you touch the area to put a cream/ointment on it . I would try to keep the paws covered with dog boots and the nails trimmed so he cannot further damage that area.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Here is more information on hot spots.http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/skin/acute-moist-dermatitis-hot-spots-in-dogs For the summertime you may want to think about using a rolled collar, these allow air to flow to the neck area. Or if you know the dog is going for a swim or bath keep the collar off for a few days so the area can completely dry out. If you have further questions please feel free to come back and ask. If you are satisfied with the service please don't forget to rate before you leave so the company compensates me for my time:)
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Here is a sample of a rolled dog collar http://www.amazon.com/Coastal-Pet-Products-Leather-16-Inch/dp/B0002ARPO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437787949&sr=8-1&keywords=rolled+leather+dog+collar+16