Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog whined to go outside, so much so that he went to my mom because I didn't reall

Customer Question

My dog whined to go outside, so much so that he went to my mom because I didn't really pay attention. He was really whining to get out badly. This has never happened. He went to urinate, and I noticed that it was taking a while, so I started videotaping him. It lasted 3:48. It was at least a minute or so before I started taping. He went to the vet yesterday because he had been coughing/hacking since the day before. I think he may have choked on a piece of weiner. The vet said that his throat was very unflammed. He gave him an injection of dexamethasone 51+#. He gave him a prescription of doxycycline and cough tabs. My dog weights 112#. In retrospect, I realize that he was doing this earlier today. But I thought maybe he was trying to poop.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....So is your question about the increase in urination you saw today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's the length of time he spent urinating, probably 5 minutes. And the steam was weak or slow. And the fact that he must have been, IDK the exact words, hurting maybe? As I explained, he was crying to go out, and after me noticing, he went to my 74 year old mom and wouldn't stop until she got to the door. This isn't normal. Was there a type of steroid in the injection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps I could explain it better over the phone.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.You hit the nail right on the head thinking that there's a steroid in the injection. Dexamethasone is a steroid. With steroids, we see an increase in drinking, which results in a longer urine stream.The fact it was weak or slow could be a sign of a urinary tract infection as well. At this point, I think I'd monitor him tonight and see if things improve. If not, then give your vet a call tomorow and have them take a second look at him, just in case they think he needs some antibiotics to help if it is an infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had these symptoms once long time ago, and I think that steroids was the problem. It reminded us of the way a horse utinates... stretched out and casual... The steroid was topical, and he was probably licking it. That's why I mentioned them. Will the doxycycline help if there is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still waiting on a reply. I paid extra because I consider this a high priority.
I have been waiting since around 9:15 pm
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience. If this is a UTI, Doxycyline isn't our first choice, but it will get the job done. It may take a little longer, but it'll do the trick.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Missy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Missy Solice. How is everything going?

Lisa