PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have been worried about my 10 year old Shihtzu..I took him

Customer Question

I have been worried about my 10 year old Shihtzu..I took him to my vets earlier this year as he was tilting his head to one side...thought it was vestibular...(can't remember rest of name) had antibiotics to see if it was inner ear..it wasn't ..I said he had an increased appetite and could they test his thyroid..so he had all his bloods done and everything was normal..his tummy is getting bigger and he drinks and eats and pee's alot..I am a dog groomer so have seen cushing's before I think this could be cushing's..he pants alot and is unsteady on his back legs
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.
Tracey, thanks for choosing Just Answer!
I am so sorry to hear that your little boy is not feeling well. It sounds like he is a very cherished member of your family.
From the information that you have shared, it sounds like your companion may benefit from having some additional testing done to determine if he has Cushing's disease. I am in complete agreement with you that there are enough signs here to suspect that it may be the cause of his symptoms. It would be worth asking the clinic that performed the original workup what was done and what abnormalities were seen. In general, the testing needed to diagnose Cushing's disease is not something that is offered for a basic workup. The link that follows goes into great detail on what tests are used to diagnose Cushing's disease and you can use the information there to determine if what was originally performed has already ruled it out. My suspicion is that it hasn't. http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html Unfortunately, diagnosing Cushing's can be tricky and in some cases it's a diagnosis of rule outs as one or more of the tests may be inconclusive. Once a diagnosis is made, treatment can begin and most pets see a benefit within a few days to a few weeks (the most notable being made over a greater amount of time).
With that all being said, I do want to mention that Adrenal Harmony Gold is meant to be used in conjunction with treatment for Cushing's and not on its own. Based on what information I can find, it doesn't appear that it will harm your companion, but also that it may not make a great difference in his condition either. I wanted you to be aware of this in the event that you were expecting it to be something that would fix his symptoms. It may help, but it also may not.
I sure hope that your companion is back on his way to feeling his old self soon. If I can help you further, please let me know. If my answer has helped you, please click accept. Once again, thank you for choosing Just Answer :)