Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My puppy is 8 weeks no. Lady I got her from (three days ago)

Customer Question

My puppy is 8 weeks no. Lady I got her from (three days ago) said she was up to date on shots(which is true) and she had been taking Albon for her coccidia that was almost gone. Told me to take her to the vet to get more if needed. Brought her home and she still had diahhrea! With a tiny bit of blood. She ate a little bit and slept a lot. Drank more water then food. Vet got a a stool sample and said it was lining of large intestine that was causing blood and that its stress that was causing her being lethargic. Gave me pro pectalin and told me if poop wasn't hard by Monday to give him a call. Gave her a dose. Tonight I woke up to her with mucus poop a little blood but it smelled of metal really really bad. I'm confused because they tested her! And they came back negative. Please help me
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. There are various causes for diarrhea and Parvovirus, Parasites, coccidia, giardia and irritable bowel syndrome (stress related) all can lead to blood in the stool and mucous. Mucous helps lubricate fecal matter as it moves through the bowels while the blood indicates irritation and inflammation in the intestinal tract. Now the problem with testing is that protozoan infections such as coccidia and giardia only shed cysts intermittently so some stool samples won't show cysts which is what they look for when testing. So your vet may have just assumed coccidia was no longer an issue since he found no cysts when doing a fecal. Of course there would be none with a stress related issue like iBS. Another issue is that protozoan infections are spread by those cysts. Rain washes over the fecal matter and cysts are spread into the grass and into puddles and puppies run around picking up the cysts on their paws, and on items like sticks and even drinking them from standing water leading to reinfection. This makes it very difficult to get rid of the problem. It is important to clean up any fecal matter immediately even outside to prevent the spread. Now there are other treatments which you can read about here: http://www.revivalanimal.com/articles/coccidia.html As long as the puppy is still eating and drinking then continue with your vets instructions. The pectalin should help firm up the feces. Try to keep things calm around the pup to help if stress is a problem. Try to keep excitement down as well. I want to give you a site on irritable bowel syndrome as well. http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs-in-dogs At this point, you have done what you can. However, if the pup should stop eating, she should be seen immediately by your vet.
Hi Shelby,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Yoshi. How is everything going?