Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

MY 8 month old lab has pneumonia. He has it in his left lung.

Customer Question

mY 8 month old lab has pneumonia. He has it in his left lung. He is pretty sick, with fluid IV and doesn't seem to be able to keep his food down so very week. Can he recover from this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Harley has pneumonia and is doing poorly even with supportive care including intravenous fluids.Pneumonia in dogs isn't very common. We do need to consider what underlying factors contributed to its development in Harley and are interfering with him getting better. Once they have pneumonia it can be difficult to treat and cure. It is often a very long process, but most dogs start to feel better after 5 days or so of aggressive treatment with the proper antibiotic or antifungal and supportive care. Do you know what type of pneumonia Harley has? Did he have a specimen collected for culture so that we know he is on the proper medication. It's important to know the infectious agent and the drugs it is susceptible for effective treatment.You mention that he is having trouble keeping food down. He needs to be able to eat to stay strong and have the energy to heal. Is he actively retching and vomiting or does the food seem to just passively flow back up? Dogs with poor esophageal function have trouble swallowing properly and food can passively flow back up and be aspirated into the lungs. If he is regurgitating food then a barium swallow should be done to check esophageal function. If his esophagus is abnormal then that needs to be addressed or he will continue to aspirate food and won't get better. Although most dogs with aspiration pneumonia have it on the right side that is not always the case. If he was lying on his left side when he regurgitated he could aspirate into that side.The short answer is that he can recover as long as his pneumonia is treated properly and there isn't an underlying condition that isn't being addressed contributing to his pneumonia. But it will be a long recovery process.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara