Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 7 year old Beagle developed a sore on the tip of his,

Customer Question

Hi, my 7 year old Beagle developed a sore on the tip of his, searching for a better term, "Pee-Pee", he saw the Vet last week and was given a shot, blue medicine and cream which we apply...it seems to clearing up. However in the last week he is having trouble jumping and is shaking a bit. We are taking him back to the Vet tonight, but wondering your thoughts.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shaking just started, or was just noticed yesterday
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question about Buckley. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...Any vomiting or diarrhea?What state do you live in?Has Buckley ever had tick exposure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomit or diarrhea
We live in Illinois
No Ticks
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Does he do the shaking constantly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it almost seems like each breath...inhale...shake...inhale...shake
He's eating and wagging his tail, etc...
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
And have you ever noticed any limping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No limping...just taking his time down the stairs and unable to jump on the bed. He also struggled coming up to me for a treat (usually stands on his hind legs)....
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.This honestly and truly sounds like Lyme or Anaplasma to me. The two big symptoms your dog has: transient weakness in the rear limbs and the sudden onset shaking (which is likely due to discomfort) are both huge red flags when it comes to diagnose these tick borne diseases. There's a website that outlines some of the symptoms here: http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/lyme.htmI did a little research on the CDC website, and found that Illinois does have quite a high number of tick borne illnesses. You can read more about it here: http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/tickbornediseases.pdfOne of this problems is that a dog can have a silent infection for years before they become symptomatic...which means he could have gotten a tick on him anytime in the last 8 summers, it could have transfered the disease and it could have simply been dormant all this time. I think the best thing to do is to have him tested for tick borne disease. In my opinion, one of the best (and fastest) options for that is the 4DX test. It only takes 3 drops of blood and 8 minutes for you to have a 'for sure' answer. You can read more about 4DX testing here: http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/smallanimal/inhouse/snap/4dx.jsf?SSOTOKEN=0 I strongly suspect he's going to come up positive. Then it's just a few weeks (usually 31 days, actually) of Doxycycline, and she should be back to normal. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your feedback. We will be seeing our normal vet tonight...I will certainly "suggest" in passing your concern. I never want to outguess the experts...only suggest. Have a great day day and thank you for your service!!
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome!!