Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog had an abscess, I think, at about the 11:30-12 position

Customer Question

My dog had an abscess, I think, at about the 11:30-12 position of her anus. I noticed some blood and discovered a large abscess that was starting to drain. I squeezed all the pus out until I could feel no more. Now there is barely any drainage at all and I've cleaned it with a medicated soap. My dog seems to feel fine. She takes cephalexin 500mg bid for chronic skin issues. She is 15-16 yrs old. What do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Now that you have removed the pus, is there any tissue swelling present? Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paperclip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.