Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Hey I have a Saint Bernard puppy three weeks old having bad

Customer Question

Hey I have a Saint Bernard puppy three weeks old having bad diahrrea
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has he had the diarrhea?What does it look like? Any blood or mucus?When was he last wormed?How is his appetite and thirst? Is he active or becoming dull and poorly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok first, he is 18 days old and he is a Saint Bernard puppy. He has had it now for two days the diahrrea, also yesterday his stool had blood spotting no mucus, and then this morning no blood. So to recount, his stool was orange with blood yesterday, brownish with no blood today. Appetite hasn't changed neither has thirst. As far as I know him to be he is active...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,First, I am glad to hear that the blood is scant, as this suggests the diarrhea is irritating the colon as opposed to a bloody diarrheal agent being present. Now the most common reasons for a dog his age to show these signs are dietary indiscretion (eating something he shouldn’t have),viral infections (ie parvo, distemper, etc), intestinal parasitism (GI worms but also protozoa like coccidia, giardia, cryptosporidia), toxins, foreign bodies, and bacterial gastroenteritis. If he isn't a mischievous wee soul, then hopefully we can put worries like toxins and foreign bodies (which we' d want to address as soon as possible) lower on our list of concerns. So, if we can put those concerns lower on our list,then you can try and settle his stomach at home. To start, it would be ideal to consider offering small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Therefore, consider putting him on a easily digestible option like rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion powder free). As well, there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis, (ie Hill’s I/D or RoyalCanin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet tends to be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. And if a infectious agent is wrecking havoc on the GI, then we want to be making his ability to gain nutrients as easy as possible for the gut. If you try this and he is settling, then do keep him on the light diet for at least a week and then slowly wean him back to his normal diet over another week. Now diarrhea can easily dehydrate young animals,since they do not have the body resources of an adult dog (and this is what makes them feel poorly when they have diarrhea). Therefore we need to make sure he is drinking as well as possible. As well, you do need to keep a close eye on his hydration. If you are concerned that he is become dehydrated, then you do want to check his hydration. When checking a pet's hydration status, there area few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html).If he is showing those dehydration signs at this point, that is our cue to have him to the vet since oral rehydration may not be enough to get him back on track.That said, as long has he doesn't experience vomiting, you can encourage him to drink (ie using fresh water or low sodium chicken broth) or even syringe feed him pedialyte (or pediatric rehydration solution) if necessary. A typical maintenance rate for hydration in an animal is 48 milliliters per kilogram of body weight per day. This value will give you the total he needs for the day (though doesn’t take into account diarrhea losses, so you need to add those to your total too) and is a good starting point to give you an idea of his daily requirement. If he vomits when you given pedialyte, I would discontinue this as a therapy. (since we don’t want any vomiting because of our intervention). Furthermore, just in case he isn't up to date on his worming then you might consider treating him now. Ideally, you will want to use a good quality broad spectrum wormer (ie Drontal, Panacur, Milbemax, etc). These are available at your vet's over the counter but you will need an idea of his weight (so you know what dose you need). Finally, as long as you are not seeing lots of blood, then you can consider trying him today on a dog safe anti-diarrheals. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if his diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one,the ones we most commonly use in dogs are :* Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)* PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate)Furthermore, Propectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, even amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and these last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe his upset GI. If you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 12- 24 hours (especially since he is quite young) or he is appearing dehydrated, then I would advise following up with his vet so that they can address possible causes of this diarrhea. If you do need him seen, then do consider taking a fecal sample with you. The vet will be able to assess the diarrhea and pinpoint the cause for it. Based on those findings, the vet can cover him with an antibiotics if bacterial agents are suspected or specific treatment for any suspect protozoa, and aid in getting him passing normal stool. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )