Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 3 year old boxer-pit has an abscess or histiocytoma

Customer Question

My 3 year old boxer-pit has an abscess or histiocytoma on his front leg. It is slightly smaller than a dime. He has pretty bad allergies and rolls and licks a lot, but this bump just showed up a couple days ago. He scratches and bites at it so I put a cone on him. His ripped a scab off of it today and it was bleeding and I put a dab of antibiotic ointment on it. How long could I wait to see if it falls off or goes away before I risk possible abscess complications?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Has the lump been tested at any stage to see which issue is present?Any puss from it?Does it seem to be getting larger?