VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

Have a 41/2 mos. german shephard diareah,vomiting very lathargic

Customer Question

have a 41/2 mos. german shephard diareah,vomiting very lathargic just started last night headed to vet if no improvement in morning. have not given him a 7 in 1 yet....should I?
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to answer your question. It is usually a bad idea to give vaccines to a puppy that's having vomiting and diarrhea, because it can cause more stress to their systems. We only want to vaccinate healthy puppies. If your puppy has not been vaccinated and has been having vomiting and diarrhea, it's a good idea just to go straight into the vet clinic. The main concern for puppies that age would be something like Parvo. This is a virus that would require immediate supportive care, and can be fatal if a puppy is not treated. At this point, if your pup has already contracted the virus, a vaccine will not help improve the situation, and could in fact make him feel worse. It's best to go ahead and get him into the clinic so they can test him for Parvo and then give him fluids to rehydrate him. A puppy with so much vomiting and diarrhea will need something IV or under the skin to get him hydrated again, and dehydration can be as dangerous as any virus for a puppy his age. If you have any further questions or concerns, please hit "reply" to get back with me!