Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Candy my boxer is 10 almost 11 but he's been acting strange,

Customer Question

Hi candy my boxer is 10 almost 11 but he's been acting strange, it started out by him just stumbling a little as he walked around. Now he can barely walk. When he walks it's like he's on ice. His back is starting to curve a little to. He's eating and drinking fine. Pooping and peeing good. What do I do
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am so sorry to hear that your boy is not doing well. In a senior dog we would be concerned with disc disease of some sort or even a tumor pressing on the spinal cord. The fact that his back is starting to curve further indicates disc disease. He really needs a hands on exam and at the least x rays to see if your vet can tell exactly what is going on. In many cases problems with a disc can not be seen without MRI or CT scan.If the spine is curving then they should be able to get some idea of what is going on via x ray. Above all the most important thing is that we make sure that he is not in pain. I wish I could tell you for sure what was going on and that you could do something to help him at home but until we know for sure what is happening we do not know what treatment would be best.If he is having any pain then unfortunately over the counter pain meds are not going to help. Some can also be toxic and Aspirin which we do use from time to time may prevent your vet from giving the standard medications for pain and inflammation. I would suggest starting him on a Glucosamine and an Omega fatty acid supplement. Petco and PetSmart carry a product called Synovi G3 that is a combination of the two supplements and works great. This is not going to fix the problem but it will help to lubricate the joints and help reduce inflammation. I know no one comes here to the site to hear go to the vet but in this case I think it is in his best interest.If your vet feels this is due to a problem with the spine they may refer you to a neurologist as this is their area of specialty. Please reply back if you have any additional questions or I can be of additional assistance.Candy