Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

I adopted a dog about 3 months ago. He was rescued out of

Customer Question

I adopted a dog about 3 months ago. He was rescued out of shelter and then stayed with trainer for a month before coming to me. He was fed grain free food when with trainer.
I did bag of grain free, and transitioned to a high quality brand with grain. It began to get warm and he began to shed --- not unexpected.
From beginning he seemed to have some allergy -- with area of pinkness around one eye and at time top of nose. Seems to go up and down --- so assumed seasonal allergies. Was waiting to see if worsened or got worse. Never any yellow coming out - or even runny.
He has continued to shed --- but now his belly is completely visable....tail looks so thin and his sides, hind quarters are so thin... covered with hair -- but only just enough. He used to have a nice undercoat everywhere.... now it is gone on sides.
He is thought to be a border collie, or Australian shep mix. not sure though. Wondering if this could have anything to do with grain allergy or is this his normal summer look. He is only around one -- and we have only had him about 90 days.
Still much unknown
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for over 35+ years with interest in Canine health.Allergens can be contact, ingested and inhaled. The Dematologist will be able to help with the determination of what it is. Some allergies are seasonal. These are Atopic Allergies. For Bathing you can use an Oatmeal Bath, that can be used on a regular basis to help with the itching. Some of the products sold at the Pet shops can actually aggravate the issues. Until you can get this started you can try plain Benedryl to help relieve some of the itching. It can be given at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8 hours. This is only a first aid measure and is like a band aid over a major surgery. It is only a temporary measure.There is a Medication that can be gotten via the Vet called Atopica. it is used for allergies and has been found to be a blessing for dogs with year round allergies. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1275+2010&aid=3069 Atopica is much safer than the steroids that are usually offered for this type of problem. There is also another medication called Temerip -P which does have a mild steroid:http://www.drugs.com/vet/temaril-p-tablets.html. Atopica does not contain the steroids which can put weight on a dog as well as steroid related issues. The Omega 6 fatty acids are also a good supplement for skin issues and can be given safely to a dog with allergies. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1060 Next we can discuss diet and allergies: Unfortunately, allergens can be airborne, inhaled, ingested or contact. Dogs can develop food allergies at any times even if they have been on the same food for a long period of time The most common causes of food allergies in dogs are beef, dairy products, chicken, lamb, fish, chicken eggs, corn, wheat, and soy. Many times we see dogs have this type of issue due to food allergies. The following article discusses how to do a food trial in-depth this is the same instructions that is given out at most Vet offices. It is recommended to try a different protein source such as duck, rabbit, kangaroo or Bison and grain free We often see dogs do well on a different protein only to develop an allergy to this as well later down the road. Purina HA or Science diet ZD are top of the line allergen diets. These foods have had the molecules broken down to the point that the body can not identify what they are getting thereby eliminating all chance of an allergic reactionRead more herehttp://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1587&aid=143 When trying a food trail it is very important that they get no other foods no treats or human foods as this will void out the food trial. This can take 6-8 weeks to show improvement so you must stick with it. This link I am going to give you goes over some of the grain free foods and makes it easy to compare them: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free The best food I have found to try is Natural Ba***** *****D with a different protein source like Bison, Venison or Duck. I have just had a client do this and after 6 weeks has had no issues with scratching or the ear infections that the dog had prior to the food change.The Diet change is worth a try but you cannot cheat and your dog has to stick to it. The first week will be changing onto the new food gradually, so that will not count. Once you get him onto the new food continue and document if he has problems or if they seem to lessen.Hopefully this will help him. Please let me know if I have missed anything or if you need further information.Joan