Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I am having my house painted. Work started last Monday. For

Customer Question

I am having my house painted. Work started last Monday. For the majority of the day I take my dog out with me, away from the fumes, but she is still exposed to some fumes at night from the drying walls. There is some dust and paint chips on the floor as well. She has exhibited no symptoms until this morning, when she threw up bile and has seemed a little out of it: breathing heavily in her sleep, exhibiting signs of discomfort. Wondering what to do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. This is not too uncommon to see in dogs where there are house projects going on. The best thing you can do, is ventilate the area and clean up debris on the floor. When it's inhaled and swallowed, it can cause some GI upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) as well as airway irritation (coughing, sneezing). It's all reversible once you remove them from the offending substances. I would just try to take him out of the house as much as possible, air it out well and clean up a couple times a day. Her signs should resolve within 2-3 days after the exposure has been eliminated. There is no specific therapy, though. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.