Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I am very concerned about my dog. She just had bladder stone

Customer Question

I am very concerned about my dog. She just had bladder stone surgery (as well as spayed and hernia fixed) a week ago. The stones were determined as struvite.
She was doing very well for several days (only exception was she was still trying to strain when urinating). On Thur she was not doing well so I brought her back to my vet 3 days ago (Thurs) and they did an x-ray and could not find any other stones.
She has been in pain since Thurs and still keeps trying to stain when urinating which has decreased in volume. I keep giving her water with a syringe since she doesn't seem to want to drink on her own.
She was eating very well up until last nite when she won't touch anything except a little plain yogurt.
Her hind end quivers I think from the pain and you can see her legs quivering when she tries to urinate.
She also has had some issues with arthritis which she had an acupuncture treatment on Thur and seemed to do a little better that day but not now.
Is this common for dogs to be in this much pain after the surgery?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am concerned if I should take her to emergency or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was just following up for a reply. I have signed up for the priority and it has been 45 min.
Just checking.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
What pain relief is Keiko on?