Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 12 year old spayed cocker spaniel is lethargic not eating

Customer Question

my 12 year old spayed cocker spaniel is lethargic not eating and has blood in his urine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern for Tristin.Blood in the urine is a serious symptom, especially at this age and for a male. IN females, certainly urinary tract infections are high on the list of concerns. Now, males can get UTI's as well, but there are other worries like bladder stones and bladder tumors. So, considering he is also not feeling well, this is well worth a veterinary examination without delay. A vet will likely want to do both a blood and urine test and start antibiotics. Additional testing might include some belly x-rays or a bladder ultrasound to get a diagnosis. Very sorry he is not well. Our hope is for routine infection, but at 12 years of age, it may require additional testing. If nauseated, To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. Good Luck!Dr. Andy